The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seropositive couple

Apr 14, 2014

Hello, My friend want have a baby with seropositive and she is seropositive herself. viral load undetectable and CD4 in 500's for both. They are both on ARTs since couple years. They don't use condoms. They want conceive soon. They want to know if they will need to do sperm washing for her partner. The lady have been told that she can get pregnant before she know the status of her partner.

What can I say to her before they visit one of their MD... She is worried... Thank you

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi It is possible to have a healthy baby when both parents or one partner is positive. Most importantly being in care and on treatment is essential. Seeing a specific OBGYN that works with HIV positive individuals that work with family planning. Since they are already having unprotected sex the possibility of transmission is there, but only slightly if both are on treatment and have undetectable viral loads. Also need to make sure that the medication they are do not risk birth defects. There are few medications out there that should not be taken during the first trimester of pregnancy.

There is a lot to discuss here and they need to make sure they are having open dialogue with their health care providers.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

HIV related rash
why dont I have HIV/AIDS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint