Seropositive couple

Hello, My friend want have a baby with seropositive and she is seropositive herself. viral load undetectable and CD4 in 500's for both. They are both on ARTs since couple years. They don't use condoms. They want conceive soon. They want to know if they will need to do sperm washing for her partner. The lady have been told that she can get pregnant before she know the status of her partner.

What can I say to her before they visit one of their MD... She is worried... Thank you

Hi It is possible to have a healthy baby when both parents or one partner is positive. Most importantly being in care and on treatment is essential. Seeing a specific OBGYN that works with HIV positive individuals that work with family planning. Since they are already having unprotected sex the possibility of transmission is there, but only slightly if both are on treatment and have undetectable viral loads. Also need to make sure that the medication they are do not risk birth defects. There are few medications out there that should not be taken during the first trimester of pregnancy.

There is a lot to discuss here and they need to make sure they are having open dialogue with their health care providers.

HIV related rash
why dont I have HIV/AIDS