Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Skin contact blood?
Apr 14, 2014

Dear Shannon,

I have a quick question for you. I was at the gym working out, and when I used the ab cruncher machine I notice there was a tissue paper on it so i grab it, little did I know there was a blood on that paper,I do not know if its still wet or dried up but the blood was visible. I then throw it on the garbage can, after that I sprayed my hand with the gym product disinfectant. What are the chances of getting the virus from that, I've been researching online lately gathering info's about HIV, anyway some say's that the virus can enter through the micro cuts on the skin... what is a micro cuts, does it needs to bleed or is it not visible to a naked eye???

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi No risk at all here. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

I go to the gym and I just make sure that I wipe down areas before I use them, but it's to protect me from other type of bacterias and colds. HIV in this setting is not a risk for transmission.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
tiny vaginal fluid on urethra
Next
Receiver of Anal fingering

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.