Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

chance of my wife is positive
Apr 4, 2014

sir I had diagnosis positive on 20/02/2014 but my wife is negative how it is happen as we had done the unprotected sex for 2 times what is chance of her positive

Response from Dr. Wohl

The risk of HIV transmission varies considerably based on factors such as the level of HIV in the genital secretions, the type of sex, concomitant other STDs, and the susceptibility of the negative partner to the virus. In general the risk from an act of intercourse can be 1 in hundreds or even thousands - although the risk can be much higher when the above conditions favor transmission.

Therefore, it is possible for someone to remain HIV negative despite having repeatedly had sex with their HIV+ partner.

Also, antibody tests can take 3 or more weeks to tune positive. Tests for the actual virus should be done for your wife, if available. If not, then repeat testing a month or so after last unprotected sex with you is recommended.

DW

Previous
use of aloe vera juice from gnld
Next
can hiv be spread this way?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.