do i need to retest?

Hi Doctor Cordova,

I had sex with an escort back in February. The vaginal intercourse was protected, and to my recollection the condoms we used didn't break. We had sex 3 different times and I used a different condom each time.

However, the oral sex, both giving and receiving, was unprotected.

I took an antibody test at 20 days and 36 days. Both tests were negative. The reason I'm worried however is because I did get a rash, fever, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches, chills, and a white tongue about 2 weeks after this incident.

Thoughts?

Thank you, Jon

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi Jon,

My thought is that you did not acquire HIV from this incident. Oral sex is low-risk and protected vaginal sex is a safer-sex activity. Also, most people show up reactive on a test by 28 days.

You can always consult a doctor to help determine what might have been causing those symptoms. I do not think it was HIV.

In health,

Richard

HIV from Oral Sex (MSM)
Thrush