Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected anal, no ejaculation BUT slight bleeding (first time?)
Mar 29, 2014

Hello,

I was wondering how good of an idea it would be for me to go on PEP drugs, considering what happened a few hours ago:

- I just had receptive anal for the first time in my life. My bum hurts a little and is sore, but I suppose that's normal. :/ - When I went to the bathroom however, there was a bit of blood on the toilet paper. Light red but not a dark color.

Here is the crappy part : we did it without a condom. My partner did NOT ejaculate inside of me though. He came on my chest instead.

I know there is pre-cum risk - even if I didnt notice any. I only became worried after I noticed the small blood on the toilet paper, which indicates something tore (a bit?) since it was just my first time...

the only "good" news is that I have known this guy for a little while, he is not a complete stranger. I also know that he just moved back after living in Dubai for several years, and Dubai requires all its foreign workers to get mandatory HIV testing. He told me this himself and generally seems responsible about getting tested : but I also know he may have contracted it without knowing since he last got tested, etc. The country we live in has a very low HIV rate at least, and I am sure Dubai does as well.

I just wanted to ask what the chance that I contracted something and would need to go on PEP was. Like I said, because he did not come inside of me, I wasn't worried until I saw the blood on the toilet paper. It happened about 6 hours ago so I have 34 more hours to decide.

Of course my risk for getting some other STI is much higher, but I will just have to wait and get tested for those in the future (not sure when exactly though). Right now my biggest worry is the PEP.

Anyway thanks very much for the help

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Unprotected receptive anal sex is a higher-risk activity. However, consider this was a one-time occurrence, your partner did not ejaculate inside of you, tests regularly, and believes himself to be negative, the likelihood of transmission is pretty low, but still possible. PEP is probably not necessary, but it's a personal decision of whether or not to take it.

I hope this information helps you in making your decision.

In health,

Richard

Previous
hiv from slight spit splash
Next
Will you help me please please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.