Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RNA/PCR -neg but ARS persists. HIV 2 possible?

Mar 27, 2014

I had a negative ELISA test at 6 month mark. I was not convinced of negative status. Had all the symptoms of ARS, most notably I still have palpable lymph nodes on left side of my neck, a cluster of 5 the size of ~1cm. And also having many skin conditions since my drunken run in with prostitute from Mexico. Condom fell off but dont know when. I do know there was no ejaculation though. It was at an establishment, not with a street walker but I dont know the leniency when it comes to who they allow to work there (possibly having std's and knowing it) I also performed unprotected oral sex on her and I am an inner cheek biter so I know I must have had cuts in my mouth. I also cut bottom of my tongue on my teeth while performing it. Ok, so I did an ELISA test at 6 months and nevative. But my dr a year previous told me I had an overactive immune system for it attacks my platlets (always in 130 range). Does that mean my immune response wouldnt respond normally to an attack for it is busy on itself?

I did an RNA test at 8 months and negative. But would it even detect anything at all after that long of period? I know its meant for the acute stage.

I did PCR viral load test at 10 months and negative, well she specifically said less than 20 copies. I dont know if that means it is sensative to 20+ or I actually had a result show up with a lesser number. Also, Would this test detect a drug resistant dual/double/super strain that I may have picked up from woman? She could have been infected twice and gave me both right?

I also had a CD4 count done and it was at 527. That is supposedly in normal range of 500-1500 but I just so happen to be that low? Makes no sense to me. My Dr. did tell me the only things to cause those little nodes in the neck to appear are hiv and cat scratche disease (which I tested negative for also.) I didnt ask her to send me for an HIV-2 nucleic acid test, but what is your opinion on that?

Response from Dr. Wohl

The standard HIV ELISA test looks for antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2. So, if negative, you are negative for both.

You do not have HIV. Plain and simple. Your testing is negative for antibodies (which you should shave no trouble making) and virus. The HIV RNA PCR can not detect extremely low numbers of HIV in a drop of blood. Current tests can detect down to 20 copies of virus in a mL of blood. That is like 20 needles in a large haystack. Pretty darn sensitive. If you had less than 20 copies of HIV (say 10) your antibody test would still be positive. Yours isn't.

DW

Previous
Help the Janitor!
Next
Symptoms and testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.