The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Protected sex with sex worker, now worried. Please help

Mar 5, 2014

Hi, I had protected sex with sex worker on 01/24/2014, I don't know what went wrong with me and I did this. During sex she didn't allow to kiss, there was condom throughout the intercourse and after ejaculation I took out and saw condom was not broken. Then she removed the condom safely by napkin saying its my job. In few minutes I started getting panic and she said "don't worry I am safe, I care for my body too". However, I don't know her sexual status. With my worry I did one HIV-1 Antibody (blood test + urine test) after 2 weeks of exposure. The results were negative but they say you should do another conclusive test after 6 weeks of exposure. However I did one rapid hiv test after 6 weeks and turns out negative. I am still worried about my life and would like to know whether shall I test again or move on with results.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You did the right thing by wearing a condom. Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Also if lubricant is used it must be water based. The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. As long as there are no other exposures happened during this time frame than the results are conclusive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Prostate Massage without glove
HIV from my own semen touching a scab

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint