Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

saliva entering the eye
Feb 28, 2014

Hi

I have a colleague and he is HIV+ while we are talking some of his saliva flew out his mouth and entered my eye, i have no time to blink or protect myself cause it happened so fast my question is am i at risk of contracting HIV? do i need to get tested? i dont know if there is blood in the saliva after a few minutes i washed my eyes and i also didnt know if there is blood mixed in the saliva. please help im really worried

regards

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk from what you're talking about. None.

Saliva does not transmit HIV.

Also, it takes a significant amount of blood to transmit HIV. First off, we don't know if there was blood in your colleague's mouth. Secondly, even if there were blood, it would've been in way too small a quantity to infect someone..

I applaud you for learning more about HIV to become a better colleague and safe person for your colleague living with HIV to be around. Unfortunately, we live in a world that looks at people who live with HIV as dangerous. This is wrong and makes no sense! HIV is not something that can be easily transmitted through casual contact.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
Is urine sterile?
Next
broken condom intercourse

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.