Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exposure to HepC or HIV during Blood Work
Feb 28, 2014

This may be a bit of an odd question so please bare with me. I went in for blood work yesterday. It's a clinic for high risk population...Please note that I am not of that population. It's close to work so I ended up going there. Anyway, I got blood work and a HIV rapid test done there. We first did the blood test. The Nurse put on gloves and carried out the test, after the test she disposed the needle into a sharps container. Her glove definitely made contact with the lid on the sharps container. After this she didn't change the gloves after coming into contact with the sharps container. We then proceeded to do the HIV Rapid Test (INSTI). She still had the gloves on and then used a alcohol swab to wipe my finger tip and then used a one time lancet to prick my finger. She squeezed my finger tip to help the blood ooze out to collect in the pipette. During this time she used a gauze to wipe the blood of my tip.

Question:

Would her coming into contact with the sharp's container lid and then wiping the gauze while wearing the same glove result in contact of Hep C or HIV? I am just worried that the gauze came into contact with her glove which touched the sharps container lid and in turn touched my little prick on my finger tip. Is there any risk here? Should I be concerned?

Sorry I have a minor case of OCD..

Thanks in Advance!

BTW the HIV Rapid Test came back negative which was great but the events at the clinic has now gotten me worried again.

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk for either of those in this situation. Neither Hep C or HIV are easy to get. A significant amount of blood from an infected person must get inside of you. From what you're describing, I can't see even a moment where that could've happened. The nurse wasn't wiping fresh blood around.

I'm curious if you're only concerned because you were around people who may have Hep C or HIV themselves..

And if you have a minor case of OCD, I would be more concerned about attending to that than your stress over HepC/HIV.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
Contracting HIV
Next
Dr Doctor, very confused and panic. Please help...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.