The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Contracting HIV

Feb 28, 2014

I am concerned about the possibility of contracting HIV through oral sex. I am a gay man and yesterday I gave another guy a blow job. I don't know weather he is HIV positive, although he assures me he isn't. I gave him a blow job on 3 different occasions - each one of those were pretty brief, probably less than 1 min. I wear braces, so I was trying to be gentle and I don't think I could have scratched him so much that blood was involved. Also, I didn't notice he had precum and later he also told me he never has precum, but I guess a small amount could have been on his penis. I also didn't notice I had wounds or cuts on or inside my mouth, maybe just some small ones I couldn't notice. He didn't cum inside my mouth! I read on some forums that both performing and receiving oral sex represents a risk for HIV transmission and I got very scared. Maybe I am worried more than I should be, but I just can't calm down. Can you tell me what are the odds for contracting HIV this way? Thanks a lot!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Oral sex does carry a risk for HIV, but it's very low risk. Oral sex can be higher risk for other STDs though, so that's important to keep in mind.

We recommend that all sexually active people get tested for HIV/STDs on a regular basis, so that's what we'd recommend for you.

Hope this helps,


HIV in sealed container in fridge
Exposure to HepC or HIV during Blood Work

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint