HIV in sealed container in fridge

Hello Dr. Glenn,

I bought a can of juice today and after I drank it I noticed that the taste was weird. It seemed to me that the juice was contaminated with blood. I started to worry that there was HIV infected blood in the juice.

I understand that HIV starts to die once exposed to the air. However, since the blood was inside the beverage can therefore it was airtight. I searched on internet and found that HIV would survive in sealed containers, such as syringe. Also the beverage was placed in fridge when I purchased it. Would the sealed condition and right temperature keep the HIV alive in this case?

I am very worried. Please help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

I'm confused why you're concerned that HIV of all things was in the can of juice. Let's slow down for a second and consider why this is what you're thinking.

It's not possible for HIV to exist under the conditions you're describing. At all. HIV needs to be inside a living body to survive. Even a syringe will only keep HIV alive for a little longer than usual.

Hope this helps..

Erik

Wet blood on toilet system
Contracting HIV