Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV in sealed container in fridge
Feb 28, 2014

Hello Dr. Glenn,

I bought a can of juice today and after I drank it I noticed that the taste was weird. It seemed to me that the juice was contaminated with blood. I started to worry that there was HIV infected blood in the juice.

I understand that HIV starts to die once exposed to the air. However, since the blood was inside the beverage can therefore it was airtight. I searched on internet and found that HIV would survive in sealed containers, such as syringe. Also the beverage was placed in fridge when I purchased it. Would the sealed condition and right temperature keep the HIV alive in this case?

I am very worried. Please help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

I'm confused why you're concerned that HIV of all things was in the can of juice. Let's slow down for a second and consider why this is what you're thinking.

It's not possible for HIV to exist under the conditions you're describing. At all. HIV needs to be inside a living body to survive. Even a syringe will only keep HIV alive for a little longer than usual.

Hope this helps..

Erik

Previous
Wet blood on toilet system
Next
Contracting HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.