Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

foot touched inside of underwear
Feb 27, 2014

I got a sprained ankle so I have a bandage on my foot, I covered it up with a transparent bag and took a shower. then I got out and sat on the toilet , unwrapped my foot and put it on the floor (so the bandage touched the bathroom rug). After a few minutes, after having desinfected my hands I took my underpants and tried to put them on without touching my foot (as I normally do cause I am a bit germophobic). I felt that my foot touched the panties, not sure if inside or outside though, so I spried a bit of disinfectant on it and on my foot and put them on again this time they didn't come in touch with my foot. Now I'm worried that if my food (precisely the bandage on my foot) touched the inside of my pants, I might have contracted something since I share the apartment with two other girls. I am extremely worried when it concerns intimate hygiene cause I am afraid I will get something that could cause infertility.

Do I risk anything from what happened? And could you give me some concrete advice on what is good and bad when it comes to intimate hygiene? Cause sometimes I go out of my way to prevent my intimate parts to come in touch with anything that hasn't been disinfected shortly before. Like disinfectin my hands like for times while putting on sanitary pads, once before opening it, then again once before taking it out of the envelope, and once again before placing it on my underpants and if I get the feeling that it might have touched my arm or leg or pijamas I throw it away and start over.

I'd use some advice. Thank you for your time

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there First, there is no risk of acquiring any transmissible infections from the situation you describe above. While I clearly don't know you well, from your posting I would be concerned that you have taken hygiene a bit to the extreme and would urge you to talk to a mental health professional about your worries. It sounds like you spend a significant amount of time thinking and acting on these concerns and my guess is that this can interfere with daily life. I hope you can find some help but I think it will involve talking to a dr in real life. Take care DR W

Previous
Please help
Next
Hiv, blood and pen?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.