Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Waiting is horrible
Feb 27, 2014

I had intercourse with a person of unknown status on January 24th. I bottomed with protection and when I attempted to top the condom broke and I was inside of him for a short while. I wasn't that scared at that point because I had a few drinks in me but then two weeks later i developed a large ulcer on the roof of my mouth (day 12) and then after returning from a week holiday (mexico) at day 25 i developed swollen glands in the neck body aches and sore throat. Went to clinic and was diagnosed with strep.

I have continued to take my antibiotics and fever and body aches have gon but sore throat remains... Could this be due to the fact that some symptoms were viral and not now related to strep infection? only two more days of medication left.

I did a home test on saturday the 22nd which would be at 29 days. Is this a good indication of my status even IF my symptoms were related to acute HIV?

I am one of those who is consumed with worry and very little has calmed my mind or anxiety. Thank you for all you do and your comments are greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The test you had run is a good sign, guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. As long as there are no other exposures happened during this time frame than the results are conclusive. Your symptoms most likely were due to the strep throat. With the condom breaking there is an increased risk of transmission not just of HIV but all of the other sexually transmitted infections that are out there. Being the top carries less risk than the bottom, but there is still a risk.

The only way to truly know your status is to be tested and not just for HIV but all of the other STI's.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Please help me, very worried
Next
need help plz (Unprotect sex + Neutropenia + negative Hiv in 3 monthes )

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.