how long i can survive without treatment?

before two years i had unprotected sexual intercourse,it was the 1st and last one,i ignored to do investigations,till one week ago,today i received the result and it was positive,and i asked if medication available or not,the said not available because only 10 people has the disease in my region.so for how long i will stay alive without treatment?is there anything else making my life longer apart from medications?iam 30 years old.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to learn of your recent diagnosis.

It's tough to make accurate predictions about HIV survival as there is a tremendous variability from person to person. Having said that, it usually takes several years for someone to progress from initial infection to symptomatic disease to AIDS.

The best predictor of disease risk and rate of progression are the CD4 count and viral load lab tests- both are now widely recommended (though in many parts of the world, VL tests are only just becoming available).

The only reliable way to improve health and prevent death from HIV is with HIV medications. These medications are no longer experimental, are safe and well tolerated and available in most countries. Other strategies generally don't produce meaningful improvement in immune health. Nevertheless, it's a good thing to optimize your diet and nutrition, avoid tobacco and seek engagement with your healthcare providers- even if HIV medications aren't currently available.

Access to HIV medications is rapidly being scaled up in most countries, and I'm surprised about your statement as to why there isn't medication in your region- please consider writing me back; perhaps I had assist in finding HIV resources where you live.

Hope that's helpful and please stay in touch, BY

superficial scratch with a staple from an hiv positive patient folder
windoe period