Anxiety of Unprotected Oral Sex

Hi Doctor, Thanks a lot for the great work!!!! Yesterday I took a 'Rapid HIV test' and the test result was negative. I had two oral sex encounters in the past - one happened 5 weeks before the day of the test which involved, the woman performing Oral Sex on me (without protection) and me fingering her vagina. No other form of sexual contact was involved. The second incident happened 10 days before the the day of the test which involved the woman performing oral sex on me (without protection). No other for of sexual contact was involved.Both the women to the best of my knowledge are sexually active with multiple sexual partners.

I have gone through your forum in detail and I know that Oral Sex has practically zero risk for the person on whom it is performed .Still I started developing hyper-anxiety and stress and to calm myself down I took the test and it came out negative. Should I get myself tested after 3 months again or should I put a full-stop to my anxiety(with a promise of never repeating such mistake again!!) and consider myself safe as the risk involved in my case was practically zero.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there

Oral sex is a very inefficient way to acquire HIV. The mouth does not contain the type of cells that HIV likes to infect. One study from Europe that followed couples where one person was HIV+ and the other HIV- failed to find a case of HIV transmission despite unprotected oral sex. If you remain worried you can certainly get tested for HIV. By 4 weeks after the encounter, antibodies to HIV are typically detected by standard HIV tests. Please be aware that syphilis, herpes simplex virus, and gonorrhea can certainly be transmitted by oral sex.

Feel free to browse our extensive articles on oral sex which are updated regularly.

http://www.thebody.com/index/safesex/oralsex.html

Take care

DR W

should i be worried
Can masterbation shrink your penis or stop growing