dirty needlestick; pregnant nurse

On 12/19 I stuck myself with a dirty needle after giving an IM injection. The patient is a teenager with no "high risks" and agreed to an hiv test. After three agonizing days; his test came back negative. I mentioned this to my OB and she said I will have to wait until the three month mark to see if I am truly negative. This gave me such bad anxiety! That's 6 weeks from now! I am harming my baby by being so stressed out with the possibility of having hiv. I thought my risk was low. Please help me.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there I think you risk is still exceedingly low and I hope the stress hasn't impacted your pregnancy too much. The reason your provider is being cautious is that she is adding the window period to the teenagers test because theoretically if the teenager was just infected right before the needlestick, he might himself be in the window period and his test could have been negative. I think this is unlikely and would try to not worry (I know easier said than done). Take care

DR W

Syphilis - half naked with sport trousers
stuck in foot with something