Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

One High Risk Event, Two OraQuicks, Both Negative
Feb 24, 2014

Hi!

Thanks in advance for any answers I may receive. Short and to the point. About 5-6 months ago I had unprotected sex with a woman I met randomly. A few months later I had two swollen lymph nodes in my neck for quite a while, I experienced headaches and cold symtoms(which were in winter months admittedly, but I never get sick). I took two Ora-Quick tests exactly as recommended and instructions followed closely and got two negative results back. Someone I had sex with after that person had blood tests done and came back negative for STD's. I am fairly confident that I do not have HIV, but I am starting to develop nagging illnesses such as ear infections, sinus infections, headaches, coughs, and my lymph nodes still frequently flare up. Should I be concerned about HIV?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there It would depend how soon after your unprotected sex event you took the HIV tests to determine how conclusive the negative results are. Current antibody tests can pick up HIV infection earlier than prior tests and by 90 days practically all (>97%) infections are detected by antibody testing alone the remainder turn positive by 180 days. Therefore, a negative HIV antibody test after 90 days means that infection was highly unlikely and a test that is negative at 180 days or beyond is considered conclusive for the absence of HIV infection. Take care DR W

Previous
fingering in vagina . plz help this is my 3rd time writing to u.
Next
Can an HIV virus semen can transmit through touching it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.