Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried dad with some questions.
Feb 23, 2014

Hello I am a 41 year old, straight guy, in a monogamous relationship where we both got tested well after contact with anyone else. I had some transmission questions and concerns for my kids. 20 years ago i stepped on a used drug needle in Hollywood, Ca. Also a few years ago i saw one laying on the ground as i was walking with my kids which i barey avoided stepping on( my luck i tell you....) Here are my questions and concerns-1) my son with autism ran barefoot in the street to the ice cream truck down the street.He said something poked his foot. I checked but saw only a non bleeding red dot. And could not see any needles as i traced his steps but it's a busy block with lots of tall grass so i couldn't possibly see every inch, he also likes to pull his hands in trash cans. My daughter also has a bad habit of going barefoot. Should i seek testing for my son or girl, if they were to be poked by a used needle? Granted they have never had a deep stick with lots of blood or deep penetration but if they got a tiny spot poke on their feet or fingers, should be worried? 2) I ran into a girl i used to date, after chatting me up she rubbed my neck and tried to kiss me. I'm concerned because she popped a zit during our conversation( gross) and then rubbed my neck. Should i be worried? 3) In my job we pass equipment and parcels to each other. I grabbed a pen from a desk drawer seconds after my boss and got poked by a staple in the drawer( he had set the pen down) also i poked by speaker wire that might have poked my co-worker seconds before. 3) I also got poked by a staple poster at a bar as i sat down to have drinks with a friend. The booth was empty but i dont know if it poked someone else before we sat down there. 4) Lastly i have bleeding gums from time to time. I was talking to my daughter today and realized in the process that my bottom gums were bleeding pretty bad. (Happens spontaneously couple times of year) if some saliva with blood got in her eye is she at risk???5 ) My son had a blood transfusion here in LA in 2000, any concern there? ?To sum it up- I don't sleep around or use drugs. I get minor pokes and cuts on my fingers from work equipment and office supplies. Are any of these scenarios real risks worth testing? I have got quite an HIV phobia after stepping on that needle years ago. Thanks.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Happy to report that none of your situations you described are risk for HIV transmission. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

Leave the HIV worries behind!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Having A tough Time About Hiv, Sleepless nites
Next
inhaling sperm

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.