Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can i trust hiv dan pcr after 42 days..?
Feb 23, 2014

Hi, My name is Raju,I had unportected sex with a girl and i don't know about her status i am worried .After 14 days i have taken anti body test result was negative and as per doctor suggestion i had HIV DNA PCR test twice, first time was conducted after 14 days and second time was conducted after 42 days. In both cases the result was NOT DETECTED . Now my question is "can i go for any other tests or else no need..?".. I am really great full to you if you can answer this i am not able to do any thing please help me i am eagerly waiting for your reply.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. As long as there are no other exposures happened during this time frame than the results are conclusive. It's good to get the RNA test as well but all guidelines right now state that there is a need for a test at the 90 day point. It is a good sign that at 42 days it is showing negative. It is also harder for women to transmit HIV to men, it is possible. So the likelihood of you test at 90 days being negative is great.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
PEE ON TOILET SEAT
Next
Oral sex and seroconversion sickness

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.