Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worry about a shot i took
Feb 23, 2014

i went to my local health department in nyc for my immunization history. when i went in there they ask me for my name and birthdate to check. i wrote it down on a piece of paper and the male nurse went and check while i wait in the waiting room. when he came back he told me i need one more dose of the hep b vac . so i went to his office with him when i got there i saw the shot was already ready then he ask me if i wanted the tdap shot i said yes. i saw him took out a sterilized syringe(individual package) then the tdap. My question is that should i be worried about the hep b shot i took since i didnt see him taking out a sterilized syringe like i saw he did for the tdap shot. i saw that he had a box full of brand new syringe right on his desk . i know i might sound paranoid but i thought he would have gotten the shot ready in front of me like he did for the tdap shot. should i be worried about getting hiv this way?

he also had box on the floor to disposed used syringe that he had used. i ask the nurse for a immunization history and ii shows me the two shot i took and the name of the nurse that administer it.

I got hiv rapid tested on 43 days after the shot for hiv test came out negative shoould i get tested again at 90 days?

thanks for the help

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The only thing to warranted worrying about the vaccination is if there were a lot of blood on the syringe prior to being injected into you. Enough blood that you would notice and so would the person giving you the injection.

There is no need to worry!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
HIV
Next
mixed status couple

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.