The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is considered direct?

Feb 23, 2014

So most resources say transmission is possible for healthcare workers if they were to be splashed by certain body fluids. How direct would that splash have to be? Also would the body fluid have to come directly out of a person's body or could it be in a lab-type setting? MOST IMPORTANTLY ----> how direct would contact with feces be to mucous membranes to transmit HIV or and disease? If there was feces diluted in mop bucket water and that water splashed on your lips, is it possible for that to be a mode of transmission?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi HIV transmission through occupational exposure is incredibly low. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. HIV is not present in feces, saliva, sweat, urine or tears. It would have to be a direct exchange of body fluid list above. The main mode of exposure in a healthcare setting is through needle stick and not splash back etc.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

I am confused. . pls help me out
Protected Sex With Sex Worker

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint