The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Paranoid about the possibilities

Feb 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I have been together for two and a half years. We've had unprotected oral sex, both of us (as in I have given it to him and vice versa). We've never had any dangerous symptoms or anything except about a week ago when he was giving me oral sex, I started to bleed. Something that has never happened when he's given it to me in the past. Why did this happen? He now has a bump on the inside of his lip and is worried it is related, even though I've never bled before. Is it possible we're worried for no reason?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm not sure why this happened either. It is not a symptom of HIV. The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus.

If your symptoms continue I would recommend following up with your health care provider for evaluation and possible treatment.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

How to stop getting Pimples ?
hiv test too soon

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint