How accurate is a 10 weeks post exposue test ?
Feb 23, 2014
On December 7th, I was had a sexual contact with female (insertive anal) and the condom broke, It was a matter of few minutes before I realized and stopped. The next day we went to a clinic and conducted HIV antibody rapid Test, my result came out negative but hers unfortunately was positive. I started PeP (Atripla) at 36 hours after exposure and adhered to the instructions for 30 days. On Feb 16th (10 weeks after exposure 6 weeks after PeP) I home tested again ( HIV 1+2 rapid test) and my result came out negative thank God.
1) what are my chances to be infected ? 2) how reliable 10 weeks after exposure ( 6 weeks after PeP) negative result is ? 3) Can HIV 1+2 test give wrong negative results 4) How can I be sure that the blood amount I used in this test is enough to show accurate result ? 5) Does PeP affect antibody tests ? should I test 3 month after taking PeP or after exposure ? 6) When should I test again ? and what test is the most accurate for my situation ?
Tanking you for your help and understanding of my unbearable situation.
Response from Ms. Southall
Hi I'm sorry to hear about your partner I hope she has gotten into care and on treatment. As for your situation, starting Atripla was good and your testing history is great thus far. It is recommended that you receive a final test at 90 days post exposure to ensure you have conclusive results. A couple of things in your favor, one that it is harder for women to transmit the virus to men, you had a condom on and even though it broke you did reduce the risk and you started Atripla right away.
I would have the next test at 90 days and you will have conclusive results.
Be well and stay safe, Shannon
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Effects Of Aloe Vera On Hiv
- Can You Get Hiv Because You Have Small Cuts On Your Fingers?
- Will I Be Okay Having Protected Sex With Hpv?
- What Can Cause Blisters On Vagina Besides Herpes?
- What Are Your Chances Of Getting Herpes If You Have Sex With Someone That Has It?
- Symptoms Of Genital Herpes The Day After Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.