Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mono and HIV
Feb 23, 2014

Hello, I have been diagnosed with monocleosis, had fever, rash, still have fatigue and a swallen cyst (which keeps coming back past 5 years but doctor is taking his time to take it out). Is it possible that along with mono i could have HIV? Im very scared about it and I wouldnt want to ask te doctor as it is someone close to my family. I had an insident about 6 month ago. Had sex and the condom broke but i pushed the person away immidiatly and stopped all the contact. Sunce then i did not have such insidents but i have read thatse virus that causes mono can cause hiv and now i feel frightened. I had a biometrical blood test and urin test (my urin was clean). As forblood test my dr said i have mono an just need a lot of rest and only pills to reduce fever but that ill have to be tested again to see if the virus is gone. Could i still hve hiv or this tests elimminate the risk? Thank you very much

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The virus that causes mono does not cause HIV. Mono is very difficult to get over and it does take a lot time and rest. As for your situation with the condom breaking this does pose a risk for HIV. Noticing it right away and stopping was the best thing to do. Have you been tested for HIV? If not I would ask your healthcare provider to provide this to just rule it out. The likelihood is incredibly small but it should be addressed to just ensure that there isn't anything else going on. The only way to know if you have HIV is to ask for an HIV test. There are no other test that can show it.

I hope this resolves soon for you!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Richard, a question about test results...
Next
HIV Risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.