Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv false positive blood donor
Feb 23, 2014

Hello, let me tell you this, I've been stressed, scared and worried. I had a risk event which was an unprotected encounter that lasted not even 2 minutes cause I stopped and was worried. I didn't know the status of the girl. I am a male and tried to donate blood for the first time and I got a letter stating I tested false positive for hiv. I had to come back in 6 months and try again. They said the antibodies in my blood showed up as if something was wrong then they did a nat test and another test I think p29 or something like that and they both came back negative and told me I was not living with hiv. I still wasn't comfortable and went and got a oraquick home test and it came back negative as well. Now the people told me anything could've triggered the blood screening from a minor blood clot to a cold. But they told me it was a fact I wasn't living with hiv. It's been 1 year and a half since the encounter and I did my oraquick test this past Monday which is 1 year and six months after as well as the blood screening false pos was. I want to know if I should worry. And what could've caused this. Please help.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi There are times when someone can have a false positive or false negative result and why we recommend further testing. Testing 1 1/2 years after the exposure and having that test be negative means you are HIV free. The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. As long as there are no other exposures happened during this time frame than the results are conclusive.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
HIV transmission trough blood to eye contact
Next
Richard, a question about test results...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.