Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal frottage
Feb 23, 2014

Hello!

About four months ago I engaged in anal rubbing/frottage. The guy ejaculated outside of my body and then a minute or so later he rubbed his penis with semen on it between my butt cheeks and on my butt hole. There was absolutely no penetration.

I also had a test at 3 weeks which was negative after finding out the guy was positive with an undetectable level.

1. I know that HIV is unable to infect outside the body, but would it have been inactivated in my situation?

2. Was this type of frottage a risk?

3. I have read that butt hole itself is not a mucous membrane but rather just skin. What type of transmission risk is this?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk is incredibly small. Frottage is listed as a safe behavior. Also the fact that this person has an undetectable viral load is key in preventing transmission. We actually use the phrase treatment as prevention as we know someone with an undetectable viral load greatly reduces the risk of HIV transmission. Now the other thing to keep in mind are the other sexually transmitted infections out there. Which are much easier to transmit than HIV. But again the overall risk from your encounter is incredibly low.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
What are my risks?
Next
HIV Negative but with STI Receiving Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.