Stepping onto a used condom, say 12 hours old

Dear Sirs, When I was checking into my Hotel room, I accidently stepped onto a used condom that was under the edge of the bed.... Hmmm, I washed my foot immediately and asked staff to remove it and clean the room again. I am stressing about catching HIV from this incident? my feet have no cuts etc. Can you please advise and comment. Thanks and regards

Andrew

Hi No, you can not get HIV from touching an inanimate object. Transmission of HIV from a contaminated surface would require massive exposure to blood or other infected liquid for a prolonged period of time (for example: a blood soaked shirt of a health care worker that remained while she performed CPR). See HIV101 for how HIV is and is not transmitted. Also HIV begins to die once it leaves the body and becomes unable to infect, this happens within minutes. So most definitely 12 hours later there would be no risk of HIV transmission.

Unknown exposure several test
Oral after Tooth extraction