For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hi plz help

Hello I was wondering if you can get hiv from masturbating without washing your hands first. I masturbate after doing daily things such as eating, being with my friends etc. can the virus be transmitted this way? If not, what can unhygienic masturbation cause? I am male

Hi You cannot get HIV from masturbating. The only way to get HIV is by having sex or sharing needles with someone who has HIV.

HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

How long does HIV survive outside the body?
Hiv transmission through styptic pencil