Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Negative Test but suffering symptoms
Feb 21, 2014

I had an encounter with a female sex work on the 1st August 2013, penetration with condom and performing oral sex on her. (I had a badly decayed tooth at the time). two weeks after encounter I felt mind heat/itching of the thighs but that passed. I had sex several times with my wife and then one night, 2 weeks after we had sex she had a really high temperature and had to go to hospital, she was kept in for 9 days and had a gynecological infection). At this stage I was worried sick and didn't sleep more than a few hours a day for the time she was in hospital, and ate very little. I lost around 8 kilos in weight, suffered night sweats and my skin seemed to bruise really easily and i had a rash. I this stage (6 weeks after my initial encounter) i went and had a 4th generation duo test and the result of both the finger pick test and the blood test were negative. So I started to relax just a little and my wife was back from hospital. A few weeks later I developed a white coating on my tongue and began to worry more. I returned to the clinic at 3 months from exposure and again had both the 4th gen tests - the results were again negative. The white tongue persists and now i suffer from itchy skin, mainly head, back of the neck and upper body with prickly heat on the thighs. Even though my tests results were all negative i am still very worried as there seems to be so many coincidences with what happened to my wife and whats still going on with my body. Advice would be greatly appreciated but my main questions are: could my results be wrong and are my symptoms, symptoms that would still be occurring 5-6 months after exposure. Thanking you in advance

Response from Ms. Southall

HI The testing guidelines for HIV are to be initially tested at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. As long as there are no other exposures happened during this time frame than the results are conclusive. The other important aspect to keep in mind is that HIV is not the only sexually transmitted infection that is out there and are easier to get. With your ongoing symptoms I would recommend that you receive a full STI screening.

Are you on any type of treatments, antibiotics etc. ? These can cause some side effects as well. I would recommend following up with your health care provider for further evaluation.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Kindly reply fast Pls
Next
Showing symptoms early?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.