Oral Sex from a sex worker abroad

Thanks for your great service.

I was away in Bangkok for two weeks and after a beer fuelled night I went for a massage. (I'm currently at 17 days post exposure) I didn't realize the place was a sex shop. I went in asked for an oil massage and I got something else. I lay down naked and person who I later found out was a Ladyboy (who are a high risk of having HIV in Thailand) started to give me unprotected oral sex. (I didn't check her dental work or see if she had bleeding gums or oral sores> After about 30 seconds I came to my senses and told her to stop - and asked for a massage only. She then continued on with the massage. After 45 mins of a nice massage ... she put lotion on my penis and started to masturbate me. I told her to stop and left straight away.

I'm really freaking out about catching HIV. I'm in a long term relationship with a woman who I couldn't live with out. And I'm having crazy thoughts about what I'd to to myself if I have HIV.

Could you please help me with the following questions.

1. How much risk am I of catching HIV from this experience? 2. Do bleeding gums mixed saliva pose a risk of HIV infection? 3. Could HIV infected blood her mouth last a long time under my foreskin - if not washed properly. My partner sprayed aftershave on my penis as a joke 2 days ago (15 days after exposure. It strung like crazy and I was really worried it opened a window for the remaining virus on my penis/foreskin. 5. If someone had cum in her massage oil (I think it was oil) before me and she had massaged me and it went into an open cut. Could I be infected? Plus if the room has been used before me and someone had cum on the Thai massage bed - could I be infected via abrasions/cuts/warts/herpes simplex on my body or genitals. 6. I'm in the UK and the HIV DUO test is claimed to be 99.8% accurate at 28 days. Have you ever of a false negative on this test at 28 days? I need to be sure.

Thanks for your help,

Worried Tom

Hi The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these. You can not get HIV from a hand job either.

Your overall risk is incredibly low for HIV.

Fear of HIV
Can you get infected in these ways?