Sex with sex worker. Scared of HIV.

Hi. I'm from Puerto Rico and I had protected sex with a stripper/sex worker in a strip club. It was normal vaginal sex and most of the time she was on top of me. I didn't see any obvious breakage on the condom when I disposed of it. (Maybe it had a minor tear and I didn't notice.) Anyway, the thing is that exactly two weeks later, I came up with a fever and a sore throat. It was a mild fever and it went away the next day. However, a day later, I had this small joint a muscle pains and the next day (this would be 4 days after the fever) I got diarrhea. I am aware that instead of ARC the fever could have been simply the flu (more so when my mother had been sick a week earlier) and the diarrhea could have been related to anxiety. Still, I am extremely worried because of all of the symptoms and the coincidence. Should I be worried? Am I at risk of contracting HIV?

Hi Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. The other thing to remember is that there are other sexually transmitted infections out there that you need to be concerned about and are much easier to get than HIV. Yes stress can cause a lot of these issues as well as the possibility that you picked up whatever you mom had. Your overall risk of HIV is extremely low. If you symptoms continue I would recommend you following up with your health care provider for evaluation.

Worried sick
Potential infection or smoking cessation?