one-time vaginal exposure anxiety

About 5 1/2 years ago I (male) had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman of unknown status. The encounter was brief and she assured me following the encounter that she tests regularly for STDs. Because I suffer from anxiety and a bit of hypochondria, I convinced myself that I had ARS symptoms, however, looking back on it I never had a rash, flu-like symptoms, etc. I did have a stomach virus about 6-7 weeks later with accompanied body aches. But, it was no different from any run of the mill stomach bug contracted prior to this incident.

Since then, I have been with the same woman. We are married and she is pregnant with our first child. She was tested as part of our pregnancy and was negative.

I recently had to submit to an HIV test for insurance purposes and my anxiety has returned with a vengeance. The results of that test are pending. I am convinced that I have HIV and I am flooded with worst-case-scenarios which include losing my wife.

I did not have the courage to test initially after this happened and the anxiety associated with that encounter went away. But, it has now returned and I am consumed by it.

I am simply looking for support and/or input regarding this risk. I understand that I did put myself at risk.

I do not speak to this woman anymore, but I am aware that she is now married as well.

Please, someone, talk me down off this ledge.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Since you were the insertive partner, it was a one-time occurrence and your partner believed herself to be negative transmission was unlikely. I am confident the results of your test will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Hidradenitis HIV Exposure
HIV test