Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Donation made - please help me
Feb 16, 2014

Dear Experts,

I would be most grateful for your advise because I am really scared. I read through the archives but there was not a situation as mine. Ill be as brief as possible.

Facts: - I used somebody elses penis stimulator Coba Libre made of medical-grade silicone - the stimulator was not used by its owner for 6 hours for sure before I used it (perhaps more but I have no knowledge of that) - out of these 6 hours it was in its package for 4 hours (probably with hard access to air) and then in the air for 2 hours - I took it out and there was not wet substances inside from what I could see. I washed it briefly (20 seconds maybe) with shampoo and hot water then let is dry for 2 hours before use

Concerns: I read that it is not advises to use the same toys. In the worst case scenario if the owner is positive and I used it after 6 hours, would you say that my chances of getting hiv are small, negligible or completely non-existent? I am asking this because I read all over the web that sharing toys is high risk. Would hiv die in the air after 6 hours? I am in a monogamous relationship, both tested negative.

Would there be a risk for other STDs from this experience? Thank you so much and all the best to you.

Roberto

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Good news, HIV begins to die once it leaves the body and becomes unable to infect. This happens within minutes. So yes 6 hours after use HIV would be dead and unable to infect. Other bacterias or virus's may still be able to infect, Hepatitis for example. If you are going to use sex toys it is always recommended that cleaning them both before and after use it very important. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
OCD and HIV
Next
reinfected

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.