Freaked out that I am HIV+ & HepC+

Quick rundown: 27yr old male/uncircumcised/frequent marijuana user Had GI problems (runny, pale colored stools) in april 2011 after unprotected sex in early January with a girl I met online. Stupid of me I know, tests were ran including an colonoscopy and routine blood tests (HIV, Hep B, Hep A) which all came out negative. They checked for bacterial infections as well such as chlamydia, gonnorrhea, & syphilis (all negative). The doctor still prescribed a z-pac just in case it was false negative of any sort & gave me a sinus shot. In September I was hospitalized after having a fever high of 102 degrees, my left side of my body swelling, & being extremely fatigued w/ loss of appetite. I also had a discharge, the same tests were ran again & yielded the same negative results. I had unprotected sex in July 2011 with an ex-girlfriend & thought this could possibly be false negative also. I stayed celibate for about 6 months, after sex in July that year worried that I could pass something on to another woman. Went to the doctor in early 2012 still having the same GI issues but feeling somewhat better. He said I had symptoms of heart disease and that I should stop smoking marijuana. Blood work was done again but just for HIV this time & came back negative. In may if 2012, after almost a year of celibacy I gave myself a home HIV quick swab test that yielded negative results. This was a relief but I still didn't & still don't know what's causing these bowel problems. I was spitting up mucous daily for no apparent reason & my stools appeared to have mucous in it also.

After reading about hep c recently, I would think that this is the culprit. I had an ok diet besides the smoking before this encounter & my stools were fine. I stopped drinking/eating lactose products & large amounts of sugar/alcohol fearing I may damage my liver. This helped tremendously, but my stools were still yellowish.

I was never tested for hep c, every other std but not that. I fear that I have unknowingly passed this on to loved ones, as I see them struggle with the similar problems and its driving me INSANE! To make matters worse, in 2013 I had unprotected sex again with 3 different women, all women I've had sex with before but not aware of their sexual health or past. I most recently had sex in late October 2013, with a woman I'd had sex with twice the year before, also unprotected. The day after I noticed small red bumps on the head of my penis. The bumps were very tiny & painless but very red with an occasional itch. I started with a condom & ended up taking it off, stupid I know. I thought this might be a reaction from taking it off & then having sex w/o washing my penis. The bumps went away but one came back in a different place under my foreskin & they keep coming back. At the end of January I started feeling nauseated, fatigued, with diarrhea like stools again. I even had a nosebleed after showering & spit up a bit too. I started feeling better after I vomited but the bumps/rash keep coming back & now my nails are turning white near the cuticles. All nails are turning but it's more prevalent in the second, third, & fourth fingernails. I read that this could be related to chronic renal disease or HIV & I'm freaking out!!!

Forgot this but I did go to the ER with a burning urethra after months of unprotected sex with another woman in 2013. I was given some meds to clear all bacteria and it worked fine but the nurse said I should get checked for hiv & hep C then. I've been living in fear since, contemplating suicide, thinking I've ruined my life along with others close to me. I'm just in a blur & I know others will say "just go to the doctor" but I feel like I can't tell ANYONE & that anxiety is eating me up even more!! No sex since october 2013 & I get flu-like symptoms along with the same balanitis 90 days after!! I'm losing it!! HELP!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your questions,

It sounds like your paranoia over getting HIV is really haunting you. This out of control anxiety sounds like the reason you're having trouble believing your HIV tests (which kept telling you that you were negative).

There's definitely something going on with your body. I won't deny that. You should make sure to get your full HIV/STD screening to see where you are after this last sex you're talking about.

BUT, you need to let go of HIV and/or Hepatitis C as the only things in the world that could be causing these bad feelings in your body! There are literally hundreds of diseases that can affect the human body! That's why medical professionals are around to help figure all this out.

If you're able to connect with a good doctor to investigate why you're physically feeling this way, try hard not to pester them with endless questions about HIV/Hep C once that part has been answered.

It's possible that you may keep them from finding the true answer if you make your doctors focus only on HIV/Hep C

Hope this helps,

Erik

Have I Killed My Family!
Critical amount question still waiting ....