Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is a bloody handshake a risk for hiv?
Feb 10, 2014

I recently shook hands with somebody who had a fairly recent cut on their palm. It didn't look like the cut was bleeding but there was a little bit of smudged and dried blood around the cut. I didn't notice their cut until after I shook their hand. I didn't have any cuts or open wounds on my hand at the time. I didn't see any of their blood on my hand. I immediately used a generous amout of hand sanitizer. I don't know the hiv status of this person.

I know that shaking hands is not a mode of hiv transmission. However, can hiv be transmitted when there is blood involved in a handshake? Like I said I didn't have any bleeding cuts myself and I used sanitizer right after. But I did have a hangnail that was fairly tender to the touch. Am I at risk for hiv from this incident? Should I get tested? Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer th question.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi No need to worry! Transmission of HIV from a contaminated surface would require massive exposure to blood or other infected liquid for a prolonged period of time (for example: a blood soaked shirt of a health care worker that remained while she performed CPR). See HIV101 for how HIV is and is not transmitted. You would have to have a big open wound on your hand and you would have to prolong and direct contact with the blood in order for there to be a risk of transmission. This is not a way for HIV transmission to occur.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
is fingering and sucking vaginal fluid can cause HIV?
Next
Oraquick 2 YEAR OLD CHILD

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.