The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried I transmitted hiv to my child

Feb 5, 2014

Hi I am very worried. I had an affair and the person had been tested, said he was negative. I never told my husband because it was a stupid mistake. Anyway my husband cut my sons hair with his clippers and nicked him! If we had anything can he get it? Now when I handle his food like peeling clementines I think I'm infecting him from a cut in my nails I don't know about. I'm so worried. What can I not do with my son to prevent anything if I have something?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Even if you or your husband had HIV the risk of your son getting infected is, none. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. It's good to know that the other person has tested and is HIV negative and you should be tested as well just to ensure you know your status.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Risk of Performing Fellatio with Coldsore?
Donation Letter

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint