HIV and marriage

I am male, 29 and HIV positive. I was diagnosed just about a year ago. Didn't know I had it until I went for an immigration medical test. Anyways, I started treatment almost immediately after the counselling class. I was denied the immigration application and lost my fiancée. I have a new woman in my life whom I told my status. she is Negative and willing to marry me. However, my Dr is against that but have not been able to tell me why. My last test in Dec showed a CD4 cell count value of 780. Please what could be the reason behind his objection to marrying a HIV -ve person? and what are the chances of her not being infected and finally what is the chances of us having kids with HIV -ve status

Hi You deserve to marry whomever you wish!!!!! No one should tell you that you can or cannot get married. This choice is made between you and your partner! I am positive and my husband is negative and I know many couples who are magnetic couples, meaning one has HIV and the other does not.

As long as you continue taking your medication and maintain an undetectable viral load the risk of HIV transmission is very low. Although we know having an undetectable blood viral load can greatly reduce the risk of HIV transmission, it is unclear exactly what this risk is reduced to.

In the research conducted so far, there have been no recorded HIV transmissions among heterosexual couples where the HIV-positive partner is on treatment and their blood viral load is undetectable. However, this does not mean the risk through condomless sex is zero. All of the couples studied to date have also reported using condoms often. This makes it difficult to determine the risk of HIV transmission when no condom is used.

Get married, be happy and find a new healthcare provider!!!

Sexual Transmission Risk when undetectable
Confirmatory Test Results