Scared about infection

Hi, could you help me. I am in bits at the moment. I had sex 5 weeks ago with an unknown status person. We started without using protection then stopped and put one on. Foolish i know and I completely regret this. I now think i have developed aphthous ulcers on my tongue. One is visible and sensitive to touch, and i have another red mark next to it which is painless. Its been there for about 6 days now and starting to really worry me. I never normally have these, any ulcers normally go very quickly whenever i rarely have them. This sensitive ulcer is flat, small, yellow and sore to touch. I fear I may have contracted HIV. I have no other symptoms but the worry is keeping me awake. Do you think this is this a bad sign? Thanks Rach

Hi At least you stopped and put a condom on!!! Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Also if lubricant is used it must be water based. Symptoms you are experiencing can be from a few different things. There are other sexually transmitted infections to be concerned about. Herpes for instance which could be what you are experiencing. I would recommend that you see your health care provider for a full STI screening. First because you don't know the status of the person you were with for any of the STI's out there and because you started without protection. It is important to know your sexual health and the status of all infections. HIV is low on the list but it is a risk because of non protection.

Bloody Scissors and Possible Cut
HIV exposure