My risk

I foolishly got with an unknown status older woman about a month ago. Oral sex was performed on me which I am not too concerned about. However we did also try unprotected sex a few times without success. It was one of them nights. I don't think I entered the woman but cannot be completely sure. No real 'sex' occurred because I could only have been inside for a second or two if at all. However I have developed a sore tongue which has been sensitive for a few days now and continues to be. It's only one small ulcer but it worries me all the same. I'm getting checked next week but it's playing on my mind 24/7. Do you think I may be worrying too much. Thank you

Hi Because you were unable to have a full encounter with her your risk of HIV transmission is very small. The sore on your tongue could be herpes as this is much easier to transmit. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Because you did have contact with her vaginal area and there may have been fluids this does increase the risk of transmission of sexually transmitted infections. HIV is low on that risk though. I always recommend that if you don't know your status you should.

Developed Symptoms after 9 days of exposure
contact HIV blood