Nervous!!

Hi, I am a 25 year old female who had sex with a 34 year old male about four weeks ago. I do not know this guy well and I was very drunk. We had unprotected oral sex (both receive and gave) and protected vaginal sex. I am sure we used a condom however I was so drunk it's all very blurry and I am worried that because of my intoxicated state that if the condom had broken or slipped off at some point I wouldn't have noticed (I'm 99% sure that didn't happen but still nervous regardless). Another thing is I was diagnosed with genital herpes in 2008 however I have not had an outbreak since. I had an HIV test a few months after finding out about my herpes diagnosis but haven't had one recently - I have been in a few relationships since then but have never had unprotected sex. I asked the guy the next day and he said hes clean and has been tested a few times before - but you never know! I'm so scared to get an HIV test, but I know I should. I had a cold about a week ago, which would mark three weeks from my sexual encounter, but no fever just a stuffy nose and a headache for a few days. Should I be worried? I know that having genital herpes gives me a higher risk and no that I am not in a relationship I do not want to feel this way every time I have sex. Please help!

Hi From your memory of the encounter your risk of HIV transmission is very low. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission and wearing protection decreases the risk of HIV transmission dramatically. Yes having an active sexually transmitted infection does increase the risk of transmission of all of the other sexually transmitted infections which does include HIV. Because you are not 100% certain that the protection was used correctly and the condom stayed in tact and because it was with someone you don't know I would recommend testing. The chances are low from what you have told me but because of the fogginess due to the drinking I would get tested just to be sure. The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. If there are no other exposures during this time the test results are considered conclusive.

Can you get HIV from semen on bed/pillow?
hiv risk