Truvada for Prep

Hi, I am an HIV negative top in a monogamous relationship with an HIV positive undetectable bottom. Should I take Truvada? We do not use condoms with sex and are completely monogamous. I have perfect renal functioning and neither of us have other STD's. Thank you for your thoughts.

Hi First, as for your partners health and your sex life, this is the best possible situation to have. An undetectable viral load reduces the risk of HIV transmission dramatically. Being the top carries a lower risk of transmission than the bottom partner. With all of that being said the risk of transmission is low. Truvada would just add another level of protection. This is obviously a personal choice. If your partner would to have a blip in his viral load or become resistant to the medication and have a detectable viral load your risk would obviously increase. The side effects of Truvada are small and you would want to make sure if you did begin Truvada that you don't miss any doses. I would also recommend talking with your partners health care provider about starting Truvada.

Isentress/Truvada PEP length of treatment
Potein supplement