tested after 4 months.is the test accurate?

I decided to get tested a few days ago because I thought that I was at risk by kissing a stranger.So after 4 months and a little bit more i got tested and the test was negative. Now my question is how can I know if the test is accurate when I read that people should get test after 3 or 6 months. What's the difference? Should I get tested again ? I hope u answer and if u do.. THANKS !

Hi First let's start with the kiss. You cannot get HIV through kissing. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Next the guidelines for testing. When someone is being tested for HIV the test is looking for the body developing antibodies against HIV. The process happens at different rates from individual to individual. You should be initially tested 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. If there are no other exposures during this time the results are considered conclusive. Back to your situation, you are HIV free from kissing the stranger as this is not a way for HIV transmission to occur.

Starting Prep
Mam Shannon! Help me Please! unprotected anal sex