Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission questions...
Jan 21, 2014

Dear Doc,

A couple of questions,

1) Since we know that there is an enzyme in saliva that prohibits the evolution of the virus, why wasn't there ever an effort to induce this enzyme somehow in the human body in order to slow down the progress of the virus??

2)Since the beginning of the hiv epidemic probably there would have been millions of unprotected sexual contacts between a heterosexual man and an +hiv woman, what is the essential key factor that determines transmission to a man from a woman???...i'm interested in Western world (US,Europe)...... in reality how possible is that??and i'm talking solely about the insertive partner engaging in vaginal sex....have you ever come across to a man been infected from one time exposure having vaginal sex???...to let you know these are only theoretical questions, i'm a condoms fan...

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am not so sure the enzymes in saliva are the key to why HIV is not acquired during oral sex. The mouth also harbors antibodies and these too may play a role. Some vaccines are being developed to promote such antibodies in the genital tract so they can pounce on virus when exposures occur.

Men can be infected by women. We see that clearly in Africa. In US and Europe risk is less but not zero. Recall that infection is dependent on multiple factors including infectiousness of the source, the susceptibility of the host, the infectivity of the virus and the inoculum (how much virus is involved in the exposure). Things happen and the stars can align such that a virus can pass from a woman to a man.

DW

Previous
Can I stop worrying about HIV ?
Next
Dr Wohl: Go ahead make my day! (please !!!!!!!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.