The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Eye contact with dry clotted- blood

Jan 12, 2014

Good day Shannon, i have a friend who is sexually active and he has a deep cut on his arm. i saw the cut on his arm and it's already dried up..the other day, while talking with him, he peeled off the dry clotted- blood fron his arm and throwed it into my sure it's a small volume of blood because my eyes didn't react to badly. Do i have the risk of HIV from the scene? and do i need to be tested? Dear Shannon, i hope you can answer my question..thank you and more power to you really helped bob from philippines

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi My first reaction is ugh!!! Throwing scabs at someone!

Anyway, there is no risk of HIV transmission this way. Even if your friend had/has HIV this is not a way for transmission to happen. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. Also once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and becomes unable to infect.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Really worried mom
Worried alot about HIV please answer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint