sperm wash clinic

Hi Shannon

im hiv positive and my girl friend is negative , my VL is 20 , cd4 above 400 , we want to have a baby , my doctor recommend early this year the sperm wash procedure,we ask just to have the info , but we really want this to happened next year..is there a link of clinics in the US , best if in California , that they do this sperm wash procedure ??

hope you can help us out

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

Prior to our understanding of the transmission risk reduction that accompanies HIV treatment and pre-exposure prophylaxis, sperm washing was considered commonly for conception.

There are a number of other approaches for reducing the risk of HIV transmission during conception. The best thing (you've already done) is to achieve an undetectable viral load- this alone results in the greatest reduction of HIV levels in semen and in some experts' opinion, may obviate the need for sperm washing.

In addition, we've added pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) treatment for the HIV negative woman to further reduce risk.

I believe that there are a number of programs that do sperm washing in California, but I'm unable to find a link with a comprehensive list. Your question gives me the impression that you don't reside in the US, it would be best if you and your provider might be able to link up with a HIV provider and reproductive medicine provider to best coordinate care. Typically, this type of linkage can be readily arranged in the big cities- San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Please feel free to write back with details or any additional questions.

Best of health to you all, BY

please please help,second time asking,risk from touching blood
Please help me anyone I am really worrying .. plzzz