Possible blood in eye from dental tray

I am a dental assistant, I had an hiv pt who more than likely is receiving the proper care for his hiv. I assisted with a tooth extraction,not much bleeding occurred during extraction, I went to clean the room and put the dirty tray with instruments in the sink for about 15-25 minutes, came back rinsed them with some water and cleaner..but as I went to throw the paper that lined the extraction tray away water bounced off of it and hit me in the eye, I know it was not pure blood or maybe no blood at all was mixed.. because it was diluted with water. But am I am risk?? this happened like almost 4 months ago but I am still a little concerned.

Hi There is no risk involved with your situation for HIV transmission. HIV begins to die once it is outside of the body and becomes unable to infect. So if there were a splash, first the HIV in the blood would have died and second there are no documented cases of splashes causing HIV transmission.

My recommendation would be to contact a local HIV service agency or your state health department and have them come in and give your office an educational opportunity. If you had these concerns there may be others in the office who have the same. To make you all better health care providers education about transmission should be something that the office offers. OSHA is something to use as well, treating everyone as they have something this to not only protect you but protect your patients as well.

Transmission through kissing with gum issues
Confused