Possible Occupational Exposure Being Ignored

I work in a medical office, and while checking a pt.out of the office I believe he spit in my eye while speaking to me. He was missing multiple top teeth and to my surprise looked to have actively bleeding bottom gums. They were definitely red and he had reddish/yellow/brown residue on the bottom teeth. I looked at his mouth after I felt that what was had blurred my vision for a moment may have been his spit, and that was when I noticed his teeth/the blood. It was very strange to me that he had been in the office for 2 hours and no one had noticed, except for the Dr. who saw him, who I later reported the incident to. The doctor admitted to noticing the condition of his mouth. The man was very nice, but in bad shape. I reported this to the several of the other doctors I work for, but they dismissed the issue and said a bacterial eye infection would be the most probable issue if there was to be one, and I was overreacting/imagining things. The patient's status is unknown. I went to urgent care 2 days later because I wanted another opinion. The Dr. said exposure was unlikely. I work for eye doctors, not medical doctors, so I did want to get another opinion. Should I test at 4 weeks, or wait 3 months. I am VERY afraid and disillusioned as I had just had a FULL health check up before the incident, and was in great shape :(

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I understand you being hesitant to listen to the eye doctors you work with BUT at least listen to the urgent care doctor who is absolutely right!

Transmission is very unlikely in this situation.

If any blood got in your eye it was minimal. For HIV to transmit there really needs to be a significant amount of blood.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Contact with a patient with HIV, fresh blood touched my scab
Urethra Touching Dry Blood