Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv worry
Dec 31, 2013

Recently had unprotected sex in Thailand. 2 days later I got aching testes. This has been present on and off for 7 days. 2 days after aching testes I had a bout of diareah which lasted 2 days and my tested eased after going the toilet. After 8 days I got a sore neck, presuming sore glands. Lost my appetite for 2 days maybe due to worry. I could just be paranoid and full of anxiety. Also been drinking alcohol heavily during the periods. My main concern is hiv infection as it was on the 2nd day of my holiday when the encounter occurred and I've got 5 weeks to go. Worrying is making me shake and anxious along with palpatations.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Unprotected vaginal and anal sex are considered high risk for HIV. Unprotected oral sex is considered low risk. So yes, you have had risk for HIV.

While you wait to get a HIV test (we recommend waiting 3 months), it's very important to not rely on perceived symptoms to tell you your status. That's not how it works. For example, the things that you mentioned could be caused by tons of things, so we have only the one way of know if it's HIV or something else: the HIV test.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
SOS
Next
Condom Treaed During Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.