Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

About testing/ confused
Dec 31, 2013

I have a question about testing: how long should I wait until the result is conclusive? I had my blood taken from the vein and sent labor in hiv cabinet in my country.(EU country) The nurse said the safe time to wait is 6 months but when I read your website it says 90 days is conclusive. Which time is correct then? Thank you for your answer.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

We recommend 90 days with the current generation of tests. I'm not sure what they're using where you are, but that's pretty standard over in the U.S.

The nurse may be saying 6 months for the same reason that many people say 6 months over here: out of concern for being as careful as possible. But the overwhelming majority of people will have an accurate test at 3 months.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
anxiety from touching blood
Next
HIV PROTECTION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.