About testing/ confused

I have a question about testing: how long should I wait until the result is conclusive? I had my blood taken from the vein and sent labor in hiv cabinet in my country.(EU country) The nurse said the safe time to wait is 6 months but when I read your website it says 90 days is conclusive. Which time is correct then? Thank you for your answer.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

We recommend 90 days with the current generation of tests. I'm not sure what they're using where you are, but that's pretty standard over in the U.S.

The nurse may be saying 6 months for the same reason that many people say 6 months over here: out of concern for being as careful as possible. But the overwhelming majority of people will have an accurate test at 3 months.

Hope this helps,

Erik

anxiety from touching blood
HIV PROTECTION