Cold Urticaria and HIV

Sir/Ma'am,

First of all. I'd like to thank whoever is taking the time to answer my question. 3 months ago I had intercourse with a female who transmitted chlamydia to me. I got tested for HIV as well (after 1 month of exposure). The result was negative. At the same time of my chlamydia infection, I started to get hives in cold weather. I went to my family doctor & he told me that I have Cold Urticaria. From what I read, Viral diseases trigger Urticaria. Could this be related to HIV or my chlamydia infection?? Thanks for your time...

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Cold Urticaria is not really under our area of expertise. But it sounds like your real question is whether your cold hives are an indication of a virus present in your body (specifically HIV).

Two things: 1) HIV is not the only virus in the world! Especially during flu months, it's very possible, and indeed likely, that another virus is the cause. 2) The only thing that tells someone whether they have HIV is a HIV test.

I don't mean to be cold about it. You're concerned about what's going on with your body. That's normal! You're already taking steps to ensure your health, which is awesome.

A 1 month test is actually a good indicator of HIV status, but a 3 month is what's conclusive. In the meantime, make sure to attend to your mental health and not let your curiosity/stress carry you away.. With future sex partners, make sure you both discuss consistent condom use, STD/HIV testing, etc.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Touching wet and dry semen with hands or other body parts
Am i infected?